Calhoun, GA Airport (KCZL): Perfection

 

Calhoun, GA Airport: Tom B David Field

Now and then we come upon an airport that totally impresses us: The people are extraordinarily helpful and provide terrific service, and everything is in mint condition.

So it was during a visit in summer 2023 in Calhoun, GA. We had planned an overnight stay on a trip from Dallas to the Asheville area in North Carolina. 

Here's is what happened upon our arrival at the airport.

I refuel the plane at the self-service pumps. It is the new system where the display terminal is protected from the sun and the color display is easy to read and operate. 

Once done, I go to the terminal to investigate storing the plane.  Two people help me with this: John and Ryder. In fact, they provide a T-hangar, a rare treat.

It takes me a while to remove the luggage and check the Rotax engine. As I am doing all this, Ryder comes back with a cold bottle of water, a welcome offer after the long flight. 

In the terminal building, everything is in mint condition. Curious, I walk around and confirm that the entire building is very well organized. Everything is done to perfection. I am impressed indeed.

Upon my question about transportation to the motel:  Yes, there is a courtesy car. The air conditioning works and the car gets me safely to the destination.

Before I leave and drive to the motel, I offer to settle the charge for the overnight use of the T-hangar now instead of the next day. 

Ryder doesn't know what the rule is, and asks John. He says, Oh no, there is no charge. Amazing, really. 

John and Ryder are surprised when I propose to write a post about the airport. Well, on that trip I stopped at several airports where things were less that satisfactory.

In sharp contrast, the airport at Calhoun is a jewel of perfection, and I recommend it highly for refueling and staying overnight. In a more expansive view, the airport surely is one factor that convinces companies to move to the area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safe VFR Flight Over the Top of Clouds

Van Gogh and America’s First Patented Helicopter